Self Initiated Project (SIP) Presentation

Recording of my SIP presentation

Session Feedback

• Be aware of the ethical implications of what I am asking. Some people may have very deep-seated trauma related to procrastination and distraction for a number of reasons, including experiencing ableism because of neurodivergence.
  • How can I be ethical in research of this nature?
  • Depositing information – how will I use key skills and competencies to facilitate my interventions?
  • Think about the comical aspects of teaching and play and how this relates to my project. Can procrastination be fun?
  • Devices: can procrastination be a tool/device for learning. See Kothari “If you are what you eat then what am I?”: Food as a device.
  • Could I create a toolkit via an app or device?
  • Suggestion – create an intervention which forces students to procrastinate and see what happens (thanks Odette!)
  • Suggestion – create an intervention which encourages participants to think of procrastination as a creative space rather than a barrier.
  • What does it look like to live “outside efficiency”?
  • Why do artists procrastinate?
  • Reference – In Practice PDP blog series.

Presentation Slides

Reflection

Overall I think the presentation went well. All of my colleagues thought that my field of research was interesting and asked lots of questions/gave me plenty to ponder moving forward. Lindsay stressed that I needed to be very clear with my participants about what I was going to use data I will gather from my interventions for and who I will share it with. She also advised me to think about how “deep” I want my participants to dive in terms of the inner workings of their own minds, since I am not a therapist this could enter dangerous territory if I am not clear in my professional boundaries.

I am definitely keenly aware that I need to spend more time investigating different research methods as well as looking up codes of ethics when it comes to creating interventions. However, because of the enthusiastic response from my colleagues I think this project definitely has “legs” and I am excited to explore it further and see where it leads.